As summer approaches, you may find your thoughts turning more and more towards the crystal-clear waters of your swimming pool. Owning a saltwater pool has become a popular and enjoyable choice for many people, but it also comes with the responsibility of year-round maintenance. Whether you’re contemplating a new pool in your backyard or looking to get an existing one ready for use, we’ve put together some important tips to keep your investment in perfect condition throughout the seasons.
Why People Choose Saltwater Pools
There are several reasons why saltwater pools have become popular over recent years. One of the key benefits is the feeling of a more natural and gentle swimming experience. In particular, the water of saltwater swimming pool feels softer on the skin than traditional chlorine pools, making it the perfect choice for those with sensitivities. Another reason why people choose to install saltwater pools is that they are well known for needing less maintenance. Their systems help to maintain a consistent chlorine level, reducing the need for regular adjustments and tests.
Tips For Maintenance
While saltwater pools are renowned for requiring less maintenance, sticking to a regular routine can still ensure water quality and equipment longevity. Here are some of our top suggestions to always keep your pool ready for use.
- Monitor Salt Levels: Regularly check and adjust salt levels according to manufacturer recommendations. Insufficient or excess salt can affect the efficiency of the system.
- Balance pH Levels: Keep a close eye on the pool’s pH levels to prevent corrosion and maintain water clarity. Aim for a pH level between 7.4 and 7.6.
- Inspect and Clean the Salt Cell: The salt cell is a critical component of the saltwater system. Periodically inspect and clean it to remove any accumulated calcium deposits, ensuring optimal performance.
- Skim and Vacuum: Regularly skim the pool’s surface to remove debris and use a vacuum to clean the pool floor. This prevents clogs and maintains water circulation.
- Regular Filter Maintenance: Clean or replace the pool filter as recommended by the manufacturer. A clean filter is essential for effective water filtration.
Important Considerations When Performing Maintenance
In addition to tips for how to maintain your saltwater pool, there are also several key factors that you need to keep in mind while performing these tasks:
- Safety Checks: Conduct regular safety checks on the pool accessories and equipment such as ladders, handrails and diving boards. Ensure that the safety features are in good condition to prevent accidents and injuries.
- Temperature Impact: Weather conditions can have a big impact on your pool’s condition. For instance, it’s best to adjust your salt levels during hot weather to minimise the impact of evaporation.
- Calcium Buildup: In addition to the salt cell, we also recommend inspecting other parts of your pool such as the walls and tiles for calcium buildup. Large deposits can affect how your pool looks and may require extra cleaning.
Enjoy Your Saltwater Pool Every Season
A saltwater pool provides the perfect opportunity to create your very own oasis but to ensure that you can enjoy this swimming experience all year-round, diligent maintenance is required. Get prepared for the summer and extend the lifespan of your existing pool equipment in the process by following these maintenance tips. View our saltwater pool range today.